Friday, April 07, 2006

Auction Life.


Welcome to the world of Auctions. Now, I must tell you there is a world of difference between online Auctions and live Auctions. My expertise happens to be live Auto Auctions. I have worked for the past ten years at the San Diego Auto Auction. I must say, it takes a lot of nerve to raise your hand up in the air when bidding on cars. I have seen Car Dealers go broke because they did not know how to bib on cars.
What happens is a car Dealer get his license and comes to the Auction and is overwhelmed. I can`t blame him. I would be overwhelmed too! Then he sees all these flashy cars, Mercedes, BMW`s, Jaguars, Cadillacs and Land Rovers. Now keep in mind, chances are he has not done his home work. He starts off buying these high dollar cars, not knowing that the profit margin on high dollar cars is not that much. then after about a couple of months, he has 10, 15 high dollar cars and no market.
Understand one thing about high dollar cars. You must have a market to move these cars. When I say high dollar cars, I`m talking in the range of $30,000.00 to $120,000.00. I can`t speak for you but the people I run with can not afford to even look at these cars! If the new car Dealer had done his home work, he would have known that the profit margin is better with the low dollar cars, like the Toyota Camry, Chevy Corisica, Ford F-150 and the like. Most people can afford what I like to call the low bottom car.
If you are planning on getting into the car business, please do your home work. The live Auto Auction can be a mean business and takes no prisoners. My Auction offers on average 1200 cars a week with 8 Auctioneers, 900 dealers bidding in 8 different lanes. We do have an auction that runs 24 lanes serving 3,000 dealers with 24 Auctioneers Auctioning off 7,000 cars. That`s enough to drive me crazy! All this takes place in a matter of hours.
The Auction I work at sits on 79 acres of land and sometimes that is not enough! We employ around 300 employees. Our total employee count for all our Auctions is 36,000 employees. We have state of the art equipment including a Full service Body/Paint Shop, Mechanic Shop and a Detail Shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home